Friday, May 26, 2006

Accepted on the first try, go me!

So as you know, I've been wondering about whether or not Abilities Magazine was going to accept my pitch. It had been a while since I sent it in and and as I didn't know if they were the type of publication that informs you of rejection, I was getting a little worried that I hadn't heard anything. My friend Aaron also pitched for this issue so I decided that if he hadn't heard anything either, they were underway and I'd been rejected. Sure enough he hadn't heard anything and was convinced that at such a late date, it was a sure sign of rejection. So, I was a little disappointed, but not exactly surprised. I mean it was my first pitch ever so it's not like the odds were in my favour. Anyway, after I finished talking to Aaron I checked my E-mail...and sure enough, there was the E-mail from Abilities.

They've accepted my idea for publication--1500 WD article with a deadline of June 19th (Yikes, a little sooner than I thought) but the best part is that upon publication I get $250! Woo, I will officially be a paid journalist! ...Now I just need to pull it off.

Oh, so I got a response to the E-mail that I sent to the organizers of the Douglas Coupland event. There was definitely a defensive undertone, which is definitely expected in cases like these. But the guy generally understood my arguments...and *almost* validated my feelings. To "smooth" everything over...or to cover their asses more like=p, Pages is giving me a $50 gift certificate. I feel kind of bad cuz it's really not necessary, but why look a gift horse in the mouth right? I guess being a shit disturber pays off sometimes.

No comments: