Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Rappfest is Sooo in the works!

Since the RENT movie came out on DVD my friend Dyan and I have wanted to get together and have an all out Anthony Rapp fest. But, alas, school got in the way every time. In any case we were trying to figure out how we were going to get our hands on the rare indie films David Searching and Open House, which are definitely essential to a Rappfest, and VERY hard to find. So, after we went to see RENT on Saturday we were in HMV and I broke down and just ordered David Searching. Open House wasn't even in their system, so I was outta luck there. DS was apparently going to take forever to arrive and it was $32, which I wasn't thrilled about. So tonight I looked around on the ever wonderful Amazon.com and managed to get David Searching, Open House, Adventures and Babysitting and Dazed and Confused for $71. I'm thinkin' that's not too bad for pretty much every movie Anthony's ever starred in...most of which are usually really expensive imports-- Yes, I know, I'm a shopaholic, scary fangirl. What are ya gonna do=) So, as soon as Dyan presents her paper next week we'll be set for whenever the flicks turn up in the mail. Yay!

I also got the new Ron Sexsmith album Time Being today, which I haven't listened to yet and, by recommendation of my friend Tara, I got Jack White of the White Stripes new band The Raconteurs' new album Boken Boy Soldiers. I'm not a big fan of the White Stripes so I'm really surprised that I like this. But it's really good! All the songs have a different feel to them too, which is a rarity on albums featuring just one artist. It's kind of a 60's pop/rock/blues sound reminiscent of the Birds...maybe a little Dylanesque too...with an infusion of some contemporary electronic beats here and there. I would've liked a different album cover, but I guess the bruised, scraped faces do say thieves from the sewer f that's what they're going for.

No comments: