Thursday, May 11, 2006

Carnations songs, men with no pants and inspirational lectures

I went to see Small Sins (formerly The Ladies and Gentlemen if anyone's confused) tonight, which is always fun, but tonight was particularely eventful. It started out as usual, 5 cute indie boys in white, Thom not yet drunk enough to have broken out of his "shy" demeanor and getting sweatier by the second, Steve's "Steve" bling glittering at his waist. They played through most of the regular L&G/SS songs, including the 'She's The Source' remix and then they launched into a familiar, yet different song. Wait a minute! The day had finally come, Thom had finally broken down and was playing a Carnations song! They did 'Your Love Comes in Waves' and it was SAWEEET! Definitely a treat for the hometown fans. Though apparently according to Thom, my friend Emily and I ARE the Carnations/SS crossover so that was for us. Awww! He said we've been to more shows than anyone else. Even girls he's dated! Hmm, I'm not so sure if that's a good thing *hehe*. The encore consisted of 'We Won't Last The Winter' and this weird kind of improv song that required someone with a one-syllable name with exabitionist tendancies=p. So this kind of creepy dude in the front row named Gord volunteered and the song went something along the lines of Gord take off your pants because there's three fine ladies from the T-dot that deserve it.=p. So after a few verses this Gord guy started to do back flips, which was pretty impressive and then took off his pants and danced rather crudely on stage for a while.--Quite funny=).

Afterwards we talked to Nathan (former Carnations bandmember) who was in the audience...hadn't seen him in a while, and then said hi to Thom who as usual was glad yo see us. Except that he hugged me and my face kind of got squished into his neck and it sort of turned into me involuntarily kissing his neck. AWKWARD! Luckily he didn't seem to notice...I hope! We got a taste of "philosopher" Thom too. They're going on their first US tour this summer and so I mentioned that I had tried to get into NYU but wasn't successful. So Thom gave me this big inspirational lecture about the stats section in the book Freakanomics (which he apparently listened to on tape cuz that's what he does when he's on tour...weird!) and something about kids who tried to change their lives and were successful and kids who tried to change their lives and were not. But they were both successful because wanting to make a change is as good as being allowed to make one. I dunno, the moral of the story was it was okay that I didn't get into NYU. It was nice, and random=p. See Mike, Thom's not a prick!

I was also very impressed to see that they've gotten their act together for this name change. They had all new merch that even had new artwork! The drums still say L&G and I'm sure the van does too but hey, pretty darn good. I had no money tonight but I will definitely get a T-shirt next time. I got a button...very cool.

Oy, coffee at 11:15 was a bad idea. I'm wired!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»