Monday, May 15, 2006

Magazines and Books!

I've known for a while that I got into the Magazine stream at Ryerson but I got the official "You're In" E-mail today. So, until I can penetrate the walls of NYU, I'm Ryerson Magazine-Class of 2008...sounds impressive! However, despite my A in feature writing, it wasn't quite the accomplishment that I'd hoped for. There were all kinds of stories about the magazine stream having the least amount of space and being so hard to get into. But this year there was some kind of magical statistical rarity and everyone applied for the exact amount of spaces, and got their first choice. Well, whatever gets you in the door I guess...I'm not exactly complaining. It should be fun. I've heard a lot of cool things about Ivor Shapiro (the stream director) and the few times I've talked to him I've really liked him. Good looking masthead too. See Ashley, you had nothing to worry about. You're in...and you didn't even need me to go to NYU! *Heh*

In other news... I love summer because all my fave authors start releasing new books! I bought two much anticipated novels that I'm absolutely DYING to dig into! Not a moment too soon either. I was feeling kind of lost after I finished Gregory Maguire's Son of A Witch. I hate finishing good books!
On the weekend my friend Dyan told me that her friend Shanna Swendson had finally released the sequel to last year's fabulous Enchanted Inc, called Once Upon Stilettos. For anyone who likes Chic-lit, Fantasy and New York (ME) these are the books for you. I bought the first book when I was in NYC last summer so it was a lot of fun to read it in the city where the story is set. I can't do that this time around, but I'm sure it won't disappoint just the same. I'm SO excited to finally get the continuation of Katie and Owen's story. Will they get together THIS time? Check out: www.shannaswendson.com for more details.

I also bought the new Douglas Coupland book, JPod I went to hear him read from his book Eleanor Rigby last year and he read an excerpt from JPod too and it was fantastic--The 7 Letters to Ronald Macdonald! Ever since I've been really excited to read it. I won't give anything away for those of you who are as excited as I am but it definitely looks like a fabulous piece of Coupland-style urban fiction...yay! I have tickets to the book launch/reading on the 23rd. I didn't think it came out till then but I was in Pages today and there it was! I was going to wait and buy it at the event cuz the guy said there would be no tax, but I get the student discount, which is better so I splurged and got it today. www.coupland.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»