Monday, May 26, 2008

Positive Randomness

   I'm not a superstitious person but I like to believe that sometimes the universe sends us signs to believe in. 

  On Wednesday my pre-transfusion test results came back with a platelet count of 11, and then on Friday they were 23 and I was sent me home without a transfusion for the first time in months! It was an EXTREMELY positive thing and I got through five symptom-free, platelet transfusion-free days this week,which was something that even last week I wouldn't have even been able to fathom. Even today I don't even think I really needed a transfusion. 

I knew my counts had dropped, but I was still hoping they were still in a good range. So when they came back at 1 again it was really disheartening and frustrating to have to go through another transfusion.  There was a problem in the lab and they apparently had to do the test twice to get a conclusive result. My doctor was a bit puzzled because he said he would've expected my counts to have stayed high, especially when I was symptom-free. So with the strangeness in the lab he thought they're might have been a mistake with the test. The lab technician said not though. I'm not sure what to think. Either way I hate being launched right back into the abyss of uncertainty again. 

 When this all started months ago we tried to contact my childhood doctor in hopes that he might have some insight into the situation. But, he's unfortunately retired now and though he still does a bit of administrative work at Sick Kids he just happened to be leaving the country for over a month at that time. I haven't seen him for a good 6-7 years and short of a couple of E-mails back and forth we didn't really end up having any contact with him this time around. But leaving the hospital today, we ran into him on the street, which after today's setback, I can't help but think was one of those random signs. He was my doctor from birth minute to the age of 18 and he got me through A LOT of hard times. In more ways than one I wouldn't be  here today without him.  He says I got through it once and I'll get through it again, which meant a lot coming from him. 

We also passed by Rick Mercer on the street and if that's not a positive sign I don't know what is! *hehe* 

 

No comments: