Thursday, May 01, 2008

I Want Book 5!!


I'm not usually a big chick lit person and not only that, I'm not really a fantasy person either. But that all changed when just before I left to go spend some time in New York City at NYU, my friend Dyan suggested a book called 
Enchanted Inc. that her friend Shanna Swendson had just put out. I was skeptical at best because it looked like it really couldn't get more chick lit if it tried and it was a fantasy to boot. However, the fact that the story was based in New york City hooked me because as most of you know, I can't get enough of NYC...
"ENCHANTED INC. is a magical story featuring Katie Chandler, a 20something, small-town girl who finds that being average in New York City is anything but.
Katie is still adjusting to life in the big city while working for a nightmare boss when she gets a fantastic offer to work for a mysterious company, MSI, Inc. Through her new job and the magical folk she meets, Katie comes to find out she isn't quite as average as she thought; and the fairy tale she has longed for begins to come true in surprising ways.
Katie doesn't realize how rare and important being ordinary can be. In fact, it is ordinary characteristics that make her the perfect secret weapon for MSI, Inc. Now she has magicians and faries meddling in her attempted romances, a secret life she needs to keep hidden from her non-magical friends, not to mention that dangerous pull she feels for Owen, an attractive but shy wizard who might be the most powerful man since Merlin."www.shannaswendson.com
I read it while I was away and apart from being one of the cutest page-turners I'd read in a long time, it was a lot of fun to read while actually visiting the New Yor sites descibed in the book, imagining fairies and gargoyles riding the subway and hannging out in Central Park. 
 Since then Shanna has written three more books in the Katie Chandler Series: Once Upon Stillettos Damsel Under Stress and the newest book that just came out on Tuesday (April 29th) DON"T HEX WITH TEXAS: 
"Katie Chandler has fled fast-paced Manhattan and returned home to a simpler life, working at her family's feed-and-seed store in Cobb, Texas. Leaving the sexy wizard Owen Palmer to battle his demons in the magical realm may have been a selfless gesture--after all, Katie seemed to attract evil which only made Owen's job a lot harder--but now it seems like trouble has followed her home. And despite the fact that Merlin, Katie's old boss at Magic, Spells, and Illusions Inc., has assured her that  Cobb is free of enchantment, magically speaking, Katie begins to notice curious phenomena.
Son Cobb is being plagued by a series of unexplainable petty crimes and other devilish mischief, and after her experiences in Mahattan, Katie knows "unauthorized" magic when she sees it. As this new dark magic strikes deep in the heart of Texas, Owen appears (literally) to investigate. Now Katie's friends and family must show the bad guys why it's bad luck to hex with Texas, while Katie and Owen combine their strengths like never before to uncover a sinister plot before evil takes root in the lone star state."www.shannaswendson.com
Each book is better then the next and let me tell you, once you get into the Katie and Owen drama, you won't be able to get enough! I'm about three quarters of the way through Hex (love it!) and I already can't wait to read book 5. There's just one problem...
Despite the success of the other three books (Enchanted Inc. has even been optioned by Jennifer Aniston's production company for a film!) the publisher, Ballentine Books, has declined the 5th book. They say that if Don't Hex with Texas sells enough copies they'll consider the 5th book. But until then we're flat outta luck! 
If you haven't read the Enchanted Inc. series yet, make it your summer reading and most importantly go out and get Don't Hex with Texas. Support Shanna Swendson and help the series end the way it's supposed to. You won't be disappointed. I promise!  

1 comment:

weirdmindgirl said...

I started reading the books last year. I was just looking on the shelfs of my public library and I picked it up. I read it feel in love with it and looked it up online I figured out it was a series and read the rest of the books.
But I was very upset that the 5th book wouldn't be coming out. I'm going to buy the books now that I know it's for a cause. Sort of. I really hope the fifth book does get publish. I'm only 14 years old and I still fell for the 20something year guy Owen. I'm very unhappy with her publisher. I want book 5 too!