Sunday, August 27, 2006

It's not an indie rock show unless there's at least one half naked guy in a skirt!

I really should go to bed but it's just one of those nights that despite the fact that it's 2:15, I'm wide awake. It seems most of my posts are written late at night anyway so I guess this is as good a time as any. This weekend was an unexpected delight.--I FINALLY discovered some new music for a change. Harbourfront was hosting the IndieUNLIMITED festival and as many of the bands had been reccommended by Mr. Radio, J-Gho himself, I decided to go down and join the hipsters. I'd seen a couple of the members of the Hidden Cameras (billed as the entire band for some reason) at the Andy Kim Christmas show of all places and...though they had potential, I couldn't quite figure out what all the hype was about. Even though we were forced by the rather large crowd, to stand extreme stage right where all we could see was the back of the band and where the vocals were muffled, they were still an act totally worth writing home about. Clearly the flaw before was the fact that there were only two members. Similar to a group like Broken Social Scene they had several members (like possibly 10+...I didn't actually count) with several glockenspeils, violin, viola, piano, bass, guitar, drums, keyboard, cello etc. They've been dubbed "Gay Church Folk Music". I'm not exactly sure what that means but whatever it is, it's good. Kind of a mixture of power-pop and mellow folky I guess? Their new album 'AWOO', which I highly recommend might be more helpful when trying to define their genre. Bottom line, their set made me realize that I don't go to enough fun indie rock shows anymore. The days of Carnations shows and indie rock boys seemed so far away all of a sudden. Sure I still catch the ocasional Meligrove Band and Cuff the Duke shows, and those Carnations boys aren't exactly out of my life. Far from it in fact. It's just that Small Sins shows seem subdued in comparison. Last night just made me realize that there just aren't enough shows in my life where in a wink of an eye there's a full on dance party on stage with members of almost every hipster band from here to Montreal. Oh yeah, it's just not an indie rock show unless there's at least one half naked guy in a skirt.=)

Afterwards I headed over to the Lakeside Terrace, the "after hours" area I guess you could say, to see Spiral Beach. I've seen these kids a few times now and they're always a lot of fun. But after their behaviour at the MIT-City show that they played (let's just say the fact that they're 15 shone through like a beacon) it's getting harder and harder to overlook their age for their talent. They've been getting a TON of critical acclaim in the past year or so and it seems everyone who's in tune with the Toronto indie scene has heard of them by now. You'd think they'd have gotten some sort of stage banter perfected as a result but, hmm...nope! At first the fact that the stuff they talked about on stage was (juvinile to say the least) was kind of endearing. But now it's just annoying! Granted most people go to their shows to dance and are probably too drunk to care what their talking about. I'll admit that it's pretty hard to stand still when they're playing but hey, some of us actually come for the show. So if they're planning on really following in their big shot parents' footsteps, the fact that they can put together a snappy powerpop tune isn't going to hold up forever. Grow up I say! What has to be pointed out as most obsurd though, was that while nobody in the line escaped being carded the 15-year-old band-members were openly drinking on stage. Oy, does being an indie hipster even give you leagal priviledges?

This afternoon was a little more mellow.--The Hylozoists, a purely instrumental medley, again on the larger side, made up of members of Cuff the Duke, The Weakerthans, and just about every Canadian indie band there is. They are the Ultimate! They also have a cool philosophy "Traditionally, hylozoism is the belief that all matter holds life. Evidently, these Hylozoists believe every available minute bears opportunity," I like that. I'm not really into the instrumental thing but this is an exception for sure. I'll let you all read and listen for yourselves on the link above but, they're just...really cool! Nothing like funky instrumentals and Wayne Petti on a Sunday afternoon. Did I mention that there will be some CD shopping happening tomorrow?

I also spent most of the afternoon on Saturday finishing off the first season of Veronica Mars. Okay, you've got me. I'm hooked! Kat, you were right, it's totally about the characters! Though I was eagerly watching it about half way through, it was the last 4 or 5 episodes that really drew me in. I'm a sucker for love stories, what can I say=). I won't go into detail in case anyone else dcides to go the Mars route too, but wow, the last little bit was SO good! I watched the first and second episodes of the second season tonight and I can't say I'm exactly thrilled about the way her love life is headed but we'll see...I might warm up to this one.

1 comment:

^kat^ said...

YAY for Veronica Mars! I will say that Season 1 was better than Season 2, but I have high hopes for the new episodes this fall. And besides, VM on a bad day is still better than 2/3 of the awful TV out there. :D