Monday, August 21, 2006

His Body is a Wonderland...OH BABY!!

CAUTION: Being less than a foot away from John Mayer for two hours will turn you into a puddle of goo!

...They say the third time's a charm but in this case it was the fourth....A few weeks ago they announced that John Mayer was doing a Toronto show, which was very exciting. However, not long after I found out that it was an exclusive fanclub show. I have a big problem with having to pay money to be considered somebody's fan. So unfortunately I didn't have the "priviledge" of buying tickets to this particular show. But, when I found out that it was at the MOD Club instead of the usual HUGE venues that he plays (Molson Ampitheatre, the ACC or the Kool Haus) I REALLY wanted to be there! So I went down to the MOD Club tonight only to find out that there were no tickets at all.--Nobody had any extras and the waiting list for any tickets that John's VIPs weren't using, was already overflowing. I put my name on the list anyway but only four tickets for 30+ people were released. I was about to leave when one of the girls who was handling the list flagged me down saying that her mom had an extra ticket! She could've sold it to anyone but once again my pitty-points came through in my favour. Yeah disability perks!

About half an hour before doors I asked if I could use the bathroom inside the venue. Not only could I hear the soundcheck (AWESOME!) I came out just as they were finished, so they let me in early and I proceeded to plunk myself right smack in front of John's mic. I was expecting his fans to be really annoying teenyboppers but I actually met some really cool people. Most people were cool except for the psych girl towards the end that is. During the last couple of songs this crazy girl roughly pushed her way up to the front and proceeded to stand right in front of the girls who had been there for the whole set and with a crazy look on her face numerously gave John the finger! It was so bizarre...and creepy!! Luckily she went back to where she came from after a while.

Unfortunately they were about half an hour late starting the show but when they did...OMG!!! I honestly think it was by far the best show I've seen all summer...quite possibly one of my favourites ever! I've seen him 3 other times but somehow being close enough to touch him made the music so much more intense. Being close enough to just sit there and watch him play guitar is just incredible! You can see him entering into another state and jamming. He can seriously play like nobody's business! And he's just SO pretty! Oy, let me tell ya, it wasn't just the lights that were makin' me sweat! The undulating...oh my the undulating...and the FACE MELTING SOLOS!!!

He was quite quiet as far as banter tonight, I remember him being more vocal in the past. "I've learned not to talk when tuning" he told us. But he did have a couple of cute exchanges with loudmouth audience members.

Loud Guy: "John play wheel so I can die happy!"

John: Who's dying?"

LG: "I will if you don't play Wheel"

JM: "What kind of incentive is that for me to play a song?"

LG: "Okay, I won't die!"

JM: "Then I won't play it. Ha! I gotcha!"

....You kind of had to be there but it was funny=).


...He still hasn't filled in the last square on the T-shirt tattoo yet=).

I'm really excited for the new album. He did the single "Waiting on the World to Change" and a few others. I think it's going to be a really good mixed album, with a nice combination of the Room for Squares pop and the new more bluesy stuff. The new material is really good but they did mostly old stuff, which was great..."Clarity", "Daughters","Something's Missing", "Why Georgia", "My Stupid Mouth", "Not Myself" etc.

It was my lucky day! Best $50 I ever spent! GFan Club shmanclub. In your face, I found a loophole!The only thing that sucked about the night was that he only signed posters for the people on the other side of the stage...grr!

I got some great pictures. I'll post them as soon as I can get my camera software up and running again. I'm working on it!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you got in! That's really random, but if it was going to happen to anyone, it would be you. :)