Sunday, August 13, 2006

Boo, I'm lapsing into a pattern of infrequent posts again. Truthfully it's really been due to the lack of things to post about...I am SO looking forward to going back to school! This summer has suddenly started to feel VERY long. But I got an E-mail the other day asking me to apply again to be orientation coordinator for RyeACCESS. The application deadline is supposed to be August 17th. So I'm hoping to hear about it fairly soon. Unfortunately it's only a 5 week contract but it generally leads to the full-year position, and either way it will be nice to have an income again.

My article should be out any day now. They never did give me a specific date beyond "sometime at the end of August" but they've already sent out the topic for the next issues, so I'm assuming it'll be out soon. I'd like to pitch to the next issue, but they've only allowed about 5 days before the deadline (this publication is EXTREMELY disorganized if I haven't mentioned it already) and I know very little about adaptive technology so coming up with a story in such a short time might be close to impossible.

Against my better judgment I skipped Kevin Hearn's CD release on Wednesday to go check out Chris Brown & Kate Fenner. My friend Elyse is absolutely obsessed and as she's been raving about them for years, I decided it was time to go see them. It was a good excuse to see Elyse too (it had been WAY too long). Unfortunately it wasn't as fun as it could've been though. First of all the doors ended up being more than an hour later then we thought so my friend that I was with decided that the $15 cover was too expensive for the short amount of time that she could then be at the show. So she ended up leaving and I reluctantly paid the $15, which I regretted slightly later on. It was nice to see Elyse but she was with a bunch of her friends that I didn't know, and a noisy club isn't exactly the easiest place to get to know people. So most of the night was more anti-social than anything, which was a shame, and I'm sorry to have to report that I REALLY didn't like Chris Brown & Kate Fenner. I wanted to, I really did! They are very talented musicians but I just didn't find anything particularly special about them. There were a couple of political tunes that were pretty good but Chris Brown was mostly pretty dull and though Kate Fenner has a good voice, it was kind of shrill on the high notes. She's also scarrily skinny, which I found a little hard to watch. I find it really hard to believe that she just had a baby. Elyse has a huge crush on her...to each his own I guess=p. The funny thing was that Elyse's friend told me that she's been dragged to see them a million times but she doesn't really get them either. Apparently Elyse saw them years ago at some festival and totally fell in love, but all of her friends were puzzled as to why. I totally understand the love for a band that people don't get, so I guess I shouldn't talk. But, I don't get it! Elyse has a tattoo of some of their song lyrics so after the show she showed it to them and they apparently serenaded her acoustically. A huge highlight obviously...she was all giggly for the rest of the night *hehe*.

Went to Major Maker's CD release on Friday night. They get better and better each time I see them. Lindy has even almost gotten the scary falsettos under control=). I was also quite pleased to find that Lindy is actually on the ball, and that my copy of the CD (sent by some guy with bad writing and a LONG Icelandic name *hehe*) was waiting in my mailbox. There was also multitudes of free buttons on each table, which we took advantage of. It was a very strange show though. Usually the band that is having the CD release plays last. But in this case Major Maker played second...very weird, so we ended up just leaving after their set...without stories of Tommy-boy's tour...boo=p. The first band that was on was called Stirling and in the dark the frontman had quite a resemblance to Thom. He was wearing a suit, which should've been our first clue. But we spent a good 10 or 15 minutes going, "Why is Thom wearing a suit? Is that Thom? It is him! Wait, no it's not." The guy was also too tall and his nose was too big but he does a mean hair-flip that definitely rivals Thom's=). Sterling was boring but the frontnan was pretty so it was okay *hehe*.

BTW, can anyone think of guy's names that start with 'K'? ;)

1 comment:

causing a RAWkus said...

sorry you didn't enjoy the show.
i've always said to anyone going to see them that chris brown's voice takes a bit to get use to, and not everyone likes it...

i'm surprised at the statement of being dragged to a show a million times, i got the feeling that someone did enjoy them if they did continue to come along for a show on their own good will, none the less... the beauty of being a human being is liking things that other's don't. glad you could check them out and so very glad i finally got to see you again!