Sunday, July 09, 2006

"These are my peeps!"

Kyla and I went to see Great Big Sea last night. You can't really go wrong with them. They're just one of those bands that's guaranteed to get you up on your feet...even me! *hehe* I think I need a little time before I see them again though because we just saw them a few months ago so this show wasn't exactly a new experience. Alan cut his hair, which made his signature hair flip less exciting. But who am I kidding? Doyle is just Doyle...always totally delicious, yet we're not quite sure why=p. His parents were there too...aww! Bob and Sean on the other hand just look dirtier each time I see them. They're both sporting these long, kind of truckdriver doos that are just horrible! Remember when Sean used to be the cute one? Not anymore! not to mention the fact that he's playing up his stupid falsetto harmonies more and more, which just drives me up the wall. It was the last show of the tour so they did a good variety of new and old...(Charlie Horse and a few others from The Hard and The Easy, Sea of no Cares and then all the old faves...Rant and Roar, Old Black Rum, Consequence Free, Mari Mac etc.) my only real complaint was that they seem to be playing around with things too much. I say if it aint broke, don't fix it. They've been doing kind of an acoustic version of Sea of No Cares for a while that is just boring and they're playing a few others as electric numbers now. Alan just put down the lelectric guitar. Sean's comment about having to call him Alan Van Halen was funny but that's about it.

It's kind of become our game to watch the dynamics between Alan and Murray.--They can be quite hilarious sometimes. Alan's always coming up and teasing Murray somehow or making a silly gesture. Last time the highlight was Alan saying "Way to Go Murray" and this time when Alan introduced Murray he mentioned he was from Toronto. Everyone cheered...Yay! and then Murray said "Yeah, these are my peeps, my people!" Murray's People return woo! He spoke!!! 10 lashes with a wet fish Foster!!! Alan once said at the beginning of Murray's stint with them that you had to be in the band for 7 years before you got to talk.=) I'd just like to know what is with the T-shirts? When he's back in T.O the Murray shirts kind of come back but at a GBS show, without fail Murray will wear a T-shirt. Weird! Oh, Alan promoted http://www.murraythebastard.com Where did it come from? It just kind of appeared one day...obviously Murray's friends playing a joke. But it seems to get more serious all the time...hmm.

I bought a T-shirt with the fish head lady on it. It's cute but it's slightly ill-fitting. I suppose it's fine for the few times I'll wear it to a show or something but it makes me mad that for $30 I didn't get something that I can really wear. Strange thing....I decided I wanted to wear it last night so I went into the bathroom to change and I put the shirt down for a minute but it fell on the floor and I didn't notice. I took my other shirt off and went to grab the new one only to find it wasn't there. I looked EVERYWHERE and I couldn't figure out what had happened. Finally I went to see if I'd dropped it outside and as soon as I stepped out of the stall some cleaning woman who didn't really speak English handed me my shirt. When it fell on the floor she evidently grabbed it from underneath and didn't say anything.

I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean The Dead Man's Chest tonight. Kyla and I attempted to see it twice this weekend but both times things came up and I couldn't make it...boo! But I was out with my friend Emily tonight so we just decided to go. Definitely not one to see if you're looking for a good thick plotline but all-in-all a good summer action flick. Johnny Depp I found slightly lacking this time around. Some of his sharp wit that was in the first one just didn't come off as well. But he was still fabulously flambouant. I think I've finally jumped on the Orlando Bloom bandwagon. He's SO hot! For a while I couldn't get over his gay elf days but in this pirates movie he's taken on a more masculine persona...excellent! this movie is worth seeing for the makeup and effects if nothing else. The giant squid and the pirate sea creature people are really cool. I wanted Orlando and Kiera to get married in the end. But I guess we have to wait for the third one...I just heard Kieth Richards may or may not be in it...weird!

Oy, if I hear another honking horn or race car as long as I live it will be too soon. This weeekend there was a million things going on in the city.--Festivals galore! But one of the events was the Molson Grad Prix car race. I unfortunately live right by the lakeshore and aside from the fact that watching a car go round and round all day is the LAST thing I'd want to spend my time doing, it's sounded like giant bees have been attacking the city all weekend. It also made getting to the GBS show(and anywhere else in that area for that matter) extremely hard because there was a detour every two feet...gah! Toronto also has a large Italian population so going anywhere outside tonight meant getting your head blown off by constant honking horns. Okay, I know it's insanely popular but I'm totally not into it. What I really can't understand is the honking and the waving of the flags out car windows. I mean what? Do they just sit at home watching TV with the car at the ready in case they win? Either way I'll be glad to finally have some peace and quiet now that both things are done.

2 comments:

^kat^ said...

hahaha, awesome review! I haven't seen GBS in *ages.* Oh, and in answer to your question on my blog, Mike Doughty = former lead singer for Soul Coughing. I've only been a passing fan of theirs (Super Bon Bon, Circles, and the song they put on the X-Files tv soundtrack being about the extent of it), but I really like his solo stuff. I definitely recommend checking out his latest album, Haughty Melodic--he's on myspace and has some songs you can listen to. "I Hear the Bells" is a current favorite. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.