Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Free-thinkers unite!

Slacker? Uninformed? Don't Care? Lazy?

Maybe...

It's easy to say that the reason I'm the journalist that doesn't keep up with "hard news" is because of similar words like the ones above. But, I just had a realization... Is it possible that the reason really is that I want to keep my reality to a minimum?

I've been listening to Sounds Like Canada pretty much every morning now and so I've been catching the CBC hourly newsbreaks. If I pay attention to the news at all, the last thing that I care about is business news. But today it brought quite a shocker. Apparently my career as a journalist is possibly even more at risk of becoming part of the likes of Rupert Murdoch and his pals. The big business story today is that Bell Globemedia is rumored to be buying CHUM Ltd, which includes Toronto's City-tv. It's not to say that City is really independent by a of the busineny meanss but I think it's safe to say that it is still thought of as one of the last groovey stations where you might still be able to apply any sort of artistic expression. As a culture junkie I personally consider even the possibility of this take-over to be a real tragedy. The word independent is quickly losing its meaning. Is the opportunity to be free-thinking disappearing?

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2006/07/12/chum-bell.html

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.