Thursday, July 06, 2006

It's the little things that give me joy

Great Atomic Power played a free "lunchtime" show in Yonge & Dundas Square yesterday and though I really should've stayed home and tried to make a dent in my work, I couldn't resist going. For those who don't know, Great Atomic Power is a fairly new musical endeavour by Tory Cassis, David Matheson, Murray Foster, Mark Mariash and Jason LaParde. It started when the guys were asked to play a fundraiser for a local Toronto church last year. They put together a collection of covers of their favourite (as the guy put it yesterday in his introduction "old-timey music") and a few of their own original tunes. They probobably didn't expect to play again but since then they've played 4 more times and it looks like when they're all not off galavanting in their "regular" gigs we might hear a lot more from them. Everyone was in full form yesterday (especially Dave-o it seemed) they definitely get better everytime we see them. I just saw them about a month ago but this time there was significant improvement.

Obviously the music brings me immense joy in itself but yesterday's tunes were acommpanied by a rare event. Those of us who go to all of the various "perpetual hiatus" Fruvous "spinoff" and solo projects know that unless it's one of those rare times when a couple of the guys are actually playing together (like yesterday) the different members of Fruvous rarely go to see each other's solo projects. Yesterday however, Fordy stopped by the square to catch the show and before sitting down he went up to the stage to say hi to Dave and Murray.--And there it was, three quarters of Fruvous... in the same place! I can't even remember the last time that happened. As usual Jian is on the other side of the country so there was no chance of all four...wtg J-Gho! But just the same there was something about the scene that gave me that warm fuzzy feeling. They all seemed so happy to see each other and even though this little sighting had nothing to do with Fruvous' music it was the guys! Fruvous may remain a fabulous memory in the back of our subconscious musical catalogue but I think no matter what they're doing seeing those particular men together will always give me joy. I was on a great high for the rest of the day after that.

Did I mention Dave looks good in baseball caps and western shirts? *Hehe*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»

Anonymous said...

I was there! :) Great show! :)