Monday, July 03, 2006

Television nostalgia is the best kind

If you're part of my generation chances are you were watching Beverly Hills 90210 in the early 90's. At that point (along with my cousin, everyone I knew, and even my Uncle!) I was engrossed in Spelling-mania. Despite it's incredibly high cheese factor, Bev Hills was one of the most popular dramas on TV for over 10 years. Now why pre-tell has every other flash in the pan come out on dvd and the adventures of Brandon, Brenda, Kelly, Donna, Dylan, Steve, David and Andrea remain mere television memories? I honestly don't get the logic. Aaron Spelling, the legendary king of trashy TV dramas died the other day, so perhaps that will trigger a release of his "works" or something. I just think it's silly that they haven't at least started reruns in the ten some odd years it's been off the air. Until now...

PRIME (Channel 54 on Canadian Cable) recently changed it's name to TVtropolis and started showing a number of old TV hits, including 90210. Unfortunately it's on at 3:00 in the afternoons on weekdays and 10:00 on Saturday mornings, which is not exactly convenient for those of us who work or go to school. But Bev Hills is back, woo! The best part is that on this lovely holiday Monday they've been showing a Bev Hills marathon, ALL DAY!!! I attempted to tape all 11 episodes but sadly the old tapes that I had weren't as long as I thought. Oh well...I guess I'll just have to wait until those bigshots in TV Land come to their senses and put the series out on dvd.--My only complaint about this marathon is that (though I see their logic) instead of running consecutive episodes they're running a selection of favourites. It kind of sucks though because for those who haven't seen the show before, or those of us who can't quite remember all the details, all of the juicy references to episodes that they're not showing, not to mention some major cliff-hangers at the end are just too much of a tease!

It is actually pretty amazing how much I remember from episodes that I haven't seen in years. I suppose that's one of the qualities that makes a good show though right? In any case, I can't help but notice that the show that in third grade seemed so racy and full of forbidden "adult" subjects seems so dated...still fabulous...but dated. I guess I'm all grown up. *Hehe* NOT!

No comments: