Friday, January 06, 2006

A little help from my friends

Well, here goes nuthin'. My friends have been telling me for ages that I should keep an online blog...to practice. See, I'm an aspiring journalist (second year in the journalism program at Ryerson University) but other than school assignments, I very rarely write anything. I really need to start getting used to writing in a public forum so I've decided to listen to my friends. For the first little while this will be a very casual thing, an online journal, a what's-going-on in Sab's life sort of thing. I might post a few of my fave articles here and there, I don't know! It's all up in the air at this point. I'm just going to leave it all up to chance.

Maybe I should tell a little bit about myself. I'll be 22 in a little less than a month (scary thought, I can hardly believe it!) I've lived in Toronto all my life but my dream is to live in New York City. I've always loved it there but after spending a good part of this past summer there I know its my future home. Like I said, I'm currently studying journalism (minoring in Sociology) at Ryerson University here in T.O and I work for the Ryerson Students' Union at one of its community service groups called RyeACCESS. RyeACCESS is the student-run community service group that deals with the non-academic needs of students with disabilities. This is my second year working there, last year I was Events Coordinator and this year I'm working as Student Advocacy Coordinator. It has it's challenges but it's rewarding more often than not. Along with my fellow coordinators I am working to break down both physical and attitudinal barriers on campus and helping to make Ryerson a more inclusive place. My education and employment at Ryerson has taught me a lot and helped me to meet a lot of great people. However, I'm applying to transfer to NYU in the fall...cross your fingers that I get in! Either way I'll find a way to get to NYC but going to school there would definitely help. My major pastime is going to concerts. I'm a total sucker for live music. I can't even count how many I go to a year. Yes, it definitely lightens my wallet but what can I say? I'm obsessed! I hope one day to turn it into a career and review concerts for a living. I have pretty ecclectic tastes, mostly indie-Canadian kinda stuff but I'm usually up for anything,except rap and hip-hop. I also love musical theatre and I'm a huge Renthead. I've seen Rent 12 times (5 in Toronto, 3 in Hamilton and 4 in New York) and I've already seen the movie twice! My other major fandom situation (though some will say that there are many more) is my involvement with Fruheads,meaning I'm a big fan of the Canadian band Moxy Fruvous. This takes up less and less of my time as the band has been on "hiatus" for 5 years but the friendships I've made are still going strong and we try to catch the boys' solo projects whenever possible--Mike Ford @ Hugh's Room May 13th 2006 everyone! I'm a great lover of art...specifically modern and pop art and I LOVE Andy Warhol,Roy Lichtenstein and Jean-Michel Basquiat. I collect their prints but I really enjoy visiting museums to view the real thing. I love to read but I have a tendency to buy more books than I could possibly get through. This is due to the fact that I'm a total shopaholic...what can ya do? I also make jewellery...mostly earrings and necklaces though I experiment with woven stuff. I've been doing it for years but I've just recently started to sell some of my work. I'd like to get involved in some craft sales in the future.

*For those of you who view my myspace profile I aplogize for the cut and paste but hey, it's a start!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I thought I had read that somewhere before ;)

Good start, let the blogging begin...